Rashod Bateman is facing three separate charges stemming from an arrest in Georgia this summer — two misdemeanors and one felony — according to court records first reported by TMZ Sports.
The alleged incident took place around 6 a.m. on June 3 in Walton County, Bateman's home area of Georgia. According to the arrest warrant, the mother of Bateman's child told police Bateman used an object to break the windshield and driver's-side window of her 2021 Mercedes-Benz while she and the couple's 3-month-old daughter were both inside the vehicle.
Officers reported that the shattered glass left small lacerations on the woman's face and noted contusions she said stemmed from an earlier dispute at the couple's residence. Investigators also found evidence that a screwdriver had been used in an attempt to puncture one of the car's tires.
Bateman turned himself in the same day. He faces charges of family violence battery and reckless conduct, both misdemeanors for a first offense, along with first-degree criminal damage to property, which is classified as a felony under Georgia law and carries a potential sentence of one to ten years in prison.
A court initially issued a no-contact order between Bateman and the alleged victim; in July, at her request, the order was eased to permit contact once Bateman completes a family violence intervention program. The case remains open, with no trial date yet set.
Beyond the legal exposure, Bateman faces a real disciplinary risk from the league itself. Under the NFL's personal conduct policy, a first-time offense involving assault, battery, or family violence carries a baseline six-game unpaid suspension, and the policy specifically treats a young child's presence during an incident like this one as an aggravating factor that can push a punishment beyond that baseline.
"We are aware of the situation involving Rashod and have been in direct communication with him," the Ravens said in a statement. "We notified the league office and have been cooperating throughout the process. As this is a pending legal matter, we will not have further comment."
NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy confirmed the league office has been in contact with the team and that the matter is under review.
Bateman's personal lawyer, Jordan Siev, told The Baltimore Sun: "It is unfortunate that a personal family situation has been taken completely out of context for sensational reasons. We will let the court process play out, and the facts will come out at that time."
A suspension or release would still leave Baltimore with talent at receiver — Zay Flowers is firmly the No. 1 option, and rookie Ja'Kobi Lane has drawn strong reviews throughout camp — but the room would skew notably young without Bateman's experience mixed in, and a Ravens team built to contend for a championship would likely look outside the organization, through free agency or a trade, to add a more proven complement if he's out for any real stretch of time.
Bateman spoke earlier in training camp about being excited about how he might be used in new offensive coordinator Declan Doyle's offense.
"I feel good. I'm healthy. I'm blessed. I had a good offseason," Bateman said. "With the new vibes around here, I'm definitely excited. New energy as well as a new offense. I'm doing things that I've never done before. I'm blessed and excited to see what we've got in store."
There's a difficult irony involved. Bateman has spoken publicly before about growing up around domestic violence in his own household, and his own foundation recently partnered with Marian House, a Baltimore nonprofit supporting women recovering from trauma, homelessness, and incarceration, to host a wellness event centered on healing led in part by Bateman and his mother.